Texas Boat Insurance Registration Requirements
- Texas Registration Requirements
The following vessels when on Texas public water are required to have current registration, including when docked, moored, or stored.
- All motorized boats, regardless of length;
- All sailboats 14 feet in length or longer or any
sailboat with an auxiliary engine(s); and
- USCG Documented vessels
(New see section below).
Exempted vessels All (non-motorized) canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats,
or rubber rafts (regardless of length) when paddled, poled, or
oared and sailboats under 14 feet in length when windblown.
Registration of USCG Documented Vessels
Effective January 1, 2004, vessels documented by the U.S. Coast
Guard are no longer exempt from state registration requirements.
Requirements for registering a documented vessel:
- Vessel/Boat Application form PWD 143 media download(PDF 649.2
- Current USCG Documentation Certificate (or copy);
- Verification of sales tax payment * or proof that vessel purchase
date occurred more than four years prior to the date of application;
- Payment of registration fee. (Note: Do not submit title fee.
A Texas title cannot be issued for a USCG documented vessel.)
- If sales tax has not been paid, a Bill of Sale or Invoice is
required and sales tax fee will be assessed at the time of registration.
Tax will not be collected for vessels purchased more than four
years prior to the date of application for registration. A Bill
of Sale or Invoice must contain:
- The date of sale;
- Sales price;
- Description of the vessel and/or outboard motor (make, TX or
serial number and year built);
- Purchaser(s) name; and
- Seller(s) signature.
- Documented commercial vessels used in coastal shipping; and
- Documented vessels exceeding 115 in length
Placement of Decal on Documented Vessels:
- Validation Decal to be placed on both sides of the bow.
- Display of Registration (TX) Number not required if current
USCG Documentation remains in effect.
- Certificate of Number ID Card must be carried on board the
vessel while in use.
- Less than 16 feet in
- 16 feet but less than
26 feet in length $50.00
- 26 feet but less than
40 feet in length $70.00
- 40 feet or more in length $90.00
- Livery Boat less than
16 feet in length $30.00
We'll find you the best rates on
your Texas Auto, Homeowners, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Mobile Home,
Business or Commercial Insurance.
Down Payments and Low Monthly Payments
home : about
us : auto insurance : homeowners
insurance : boat insurance
rv insurance : motorcycle insurance : truck
insurance : mobile home insurance
property insurance : business insurance
contact us : contents : quick
2015 Houston Web Application Design